You will need the following freely available software packages.
- XHTML Editor. Cross-platform choices include:
- UML Modeling Tool. The top two cross-platform choices are:
- Astah (free community edition available)
- ArgoUML (open source but a bit clunky)
- Java 1.6 SDK (a JRE is not enough). Macs come with a Java SDK preinstalled. Do not use Java 1.7, as the Scala IDE will not work with it.
- Git distributed version control client (command line).
- Maven 2.x build manager (command line).
- Scala latest stable release for learning the language through the REPL.
- Eclipse Indigo for Java Developers along with various plugins:
- Current stable version of the Scala IDE.
- Plugins available through Help > Eclipse Marketplace:
- SpringSource Tool Suite for Eclipse Indigo
- (Other useful plugins will appear here.)
- Play Framework 2.0 beta version for the main project. You need to unzip it somewhere you have write access as non-root.
- Free Heroku account for collaborative development and application deployment.
- Make sure the architecture your Java installation matches that of your Eclipse installation. Both should be consistent, either 32-bit or 64-bit.
- If you have trouble running Eclipse on Windows, look here.
- If Eclipse runs out of memory, look here.